Adopting Open Textbooks Workshop – Camosun College
What and Where?
A one-day workshop for EVERYBODY interested in open textbooks.
Date: May 27, 2013
Time: 9:30 – 15:15
Location: Camosun College, Lansdowne Campus
Library Learning Commons – Room 151
This workshop is organized by BCcampus in collaboration with Camosun College. There is no fee and lunch will be provided.
There is a lot of buzz about open textbooks and the financial benefits to our students. However, many conversations and much learning needs to happen between now and realizing that goal. This workshop will take the first steps in that direction. Together we will explore:
- options for finding, selecting, and building on existing open educational resources (OER)
- processes for creative commons licensing
- individual and institutional changes in practice, and
- ideas for adoption and advocacy.
We will also share an update on BCcampus’ s Open Textbook Initiative.
- Mary Burgess
- Clint Lalonde
- Leva Lee
- Sybil Harrison
- Nancy Sly
|9:30 – 10:00||Welcome and Introductory Activity
|10:00 – 10:15||BCcampus Project|
|10:15 – 11:00||Replacement for a Textbook…|
|11:00 – 12:00||Creative Commons Licensing|
|12:00 – 1:00||Lunch|
|1:00 – 1:30||Discover and Select OER|
|1:30 – 2:30||Panel
· Lisa Read, Faculty / K-12
· Laura-Lea Berna, Bookstore Manager
· Dominic Bergeron Acting Dean, School of Arts and Science
· Susan Chandler, Faculty Distributed Education
· Damen Korkoras, Student
|2:30 – 3:15||Next Steps at Your Institution and Closing Comments|
Who should participate?
Are you interested in providing students quality resources to support their learning? Are you curious about what is involved in adopting open textbooks? Would you like to get together with colleagues for a full day of hand-on exploration and interesting dialogue? Do you have questions about open textbooks? Do you have expertise to share? If you answer is yes or maybe to any of these questions then you should participate in this workshop!
How to participate
UPDATE: WE’RE FULL! REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
- Register online
- We will contact you and post further details here about the day.
- The world of open textbooks is a whole new territory. Start jotting down your questions!
Who can answer your questions about the workshop?
BCcampus: Sylvia Currie (firstname.lastname@example.org 250.318.2907)