The work on Phase 2 of the open textbook project is about to get underway.
Three open textbooks have been selected to be revised and modified in this round, based on the applications received by BCcampus.
The following textbooks are scheduled to be revised by May 30th, 2014.
- Introduction to Sociology will be revised based on the recommendations of the BC faculty reviews received in Phase 1 of the project. Dr. William Little from the University of Victoria/Thompson Rivers University will be the project lead. Specific changes planned for the textbook include:
- adaptation to reflect a Canadian context,
- inclusion of a chapter on Feminist Theory.
- Database Design will be expanded and revised. Nelson Eng at Douglas College will be the project lead for this revision.
- Chapters 1-4 will be expanded to add more details.
- New chapters on SQL will be added.
- Introduction to Psychology is being revised and expanded based on recommendations of the BC faculty reviews received in Phase 1. Dr. Jennifer Walinga from Royal Roads University will be the project lead for the revision. Specific changes to the textbook will include:
- overall changes to reflect a Canadian context,
- addition of chapter on stress, health, and coping,
- addition of an overview of all the major psychological perspectives in the first chapter of the text.
In addition, work will begin on the creation of a pre-Confederation Canadian History textbook. The preliminary work on this textbook is being led by Dr. John Belshaw at Thomspon Rivers University.
We have indefinitely extended the deadline for open textbook adaptations and continue to look for faculty reviewers for open textbooks in our collection that have yet to be reviewed.