Find openly licensed content
If you are modifying an open textbook, you may want to find additional resources to use in your textbook. Ideally, content licensed with a CC-BY license provides the most flexibility for reuse, so we recommend trying to find content for reuse with that specific CC-BY licenses. If you are planning to make modifications to the resource, you will want to avoid any CC material that has the -ND (No Derivative) attribution as this content can be reused, but not modified.
If you are looking for Creative Commons licensed content, you can try the following services and search engines.
- Search Google using the Advanced search and limit the search to only return CC licensed material
- Use the Creative Commons search engine to search for images & photos on the following sites:
- Flickr (photos and short videos)
- Wikimedia Commons (photos, images, charts, graphs)
- Soundcloud and CCMixter (audio)
- YouTube (video)
- Search open academic journals for CC licensed materiel such as:
- Search open educational repositories like: