The Festival of Learning is a unique, four-day celebration of learning and teaching in higher education in British Columbia to be held June 6 – 9, 2016 at the Delta Hotel & Conference Centre in Burnaby, B.C.
Key provincial teaching and learning support groups are working together for the first time to bring this rich and diverse professional learning opportunity to all our colleagues in higher education. The Festival of Learning will bring together a number of established groups and well-attended annual provincial events under one banner including:
- BCampus Open Education, Open Textbook Summit
- British Columbia Teaching & Learning Council (BCTLC), Symposium on Scholarly Teaching & Learning
- Educational Technology Users Group (ETUG), ETUG Workshops
- British Columbia Teaching & Learning Network (BC-TLN), Spring Gathering
Faculty, instructors, professors, educational developers, educational technologists, leaders, and all who work in teaching and learning in BC higher education will find a variety of opportunities to learn, laugh, create, and collaborate with colleagues from across BC and beyond.
This event will combine features of traditional conferences (e.g., workshops and sessions) with more engaged learning formats like intensives, institutes, studios, cafes, showcases, slams, and maker fairs. The Festival schedule will also include multiple-day workshops focussed on specific themes, as well as a variety of social events and spaces for groups to connect and network. Participants can join for one, two, three or all four days and be able to create a custom schedule of integrated learning experiences. BCcampus is generously supporting the development of this event, along with many volunteers across the province to make this a memorable time for all.
Call for Presentation Proposals for Open Education
Presentation proposals are now being accepted for the Open Education portion of the Festival of Learning (previously the Open Textbook Summit).
Sessions can be either a 2 hour hands-on workshop or a 30 minute presentation. Suggested topics include:
- How to adapt, adopt, or create open educational resources
- Faculty experiences adopting, adapting, or creating open educational resources (OER)
- Student advocates and students who have experienced OER
- OER project staff interested in sharing experiences and resources
- Government representatives who are, or are interested in, creating policy and establishing funding programs
- Librarians supporting OER
- OER research initiatives
- OER peer review
- Institutional support for OER adoptions
- Technology to support the development and use of OER
- Innovative pedagogical activities involving OER and open pedagogy
All Open Education sessions will take place Monday June 6 and/or Tuesday June 7.
In addition to the workshops and presentation sessions, we will be hosting two half day maker events:
- Adapting an OER Maker Event
- Building Open Pedagogy Assignments and Activities
If you are interested in assisting in the development of those maker events please indicate on the proposal submission form.
Criteria for Selection
Proposals will be reviewed by members of the BCcampus Open Education Team and reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Theme Alignment: proposal is aligned to the theme of the sessions (OER)
- Engaging: presentation has high potential to attract conference attendees by addressing needs of the open textbook community
- Relevant: proposal addresses one or more of the suggested topics
Sharing what we do
- All artifacts from the Festival of Learning are openly licensed according to the terms of Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 [http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/]. This includes photographs, audio and video recordings, and session materials/presentations. By submitting a proposal you agree to these terms.
- Facilitators and participants are encouraged to post and share their work online and posting to social media.
Application submission deadline: Monday, March 14, 2016
If you have questions regarding the Call for Presentation Proposals or the Open Textbook Summit, in general, please contact us at email@example.com
Watch for registration information coming February 23, 2016.
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]