Find Open Textbooks
Canadian History: Post-Confederation
Description: This textbook introduces aspects of the history of Canada since Confederation. “Canada” in this context includes Newfoundland and all the other parts that come to be aggregated into the Dominion after 1867. Much of this text follows thematic lines. Each chapter moves chronologically but with alternative narratives in mind. What Aboriginal accounts must we place in the foreground? Which structures (economic or social) determine the range of choices available to human agents of history? What environmental questions need to be raised to gain a more complete understanding of choices made in the past and their ramifications? Each chapter is comprised of several sections and some of those are further divided. In many instances you will encounter original material that has been contributed by other university historians from across Canada who are leaders in their respective fields. They provide a diversity of voices on the subject of the nation’s history and, thus, an opportunity to experience some of the complexities of understanding and approaching the past. Canadian History: Post-Confederation includes Learning Objectives and Key Points in most chapter sections, intended to help identify issues of over-arching importance. Recent interviews with historians from across Canada have been captured in video clips that are embedded throughout the web version of the book. At the end of each chapter, the Summary section includes additional features: Key Terms, Short Answer Exercises, and Suggested Readings. The key terms are bolded in the text, and collected in a Glossary in the appendix.
Author: John Douglas Belshaw, Thompson Rivers University
Adoptions (faculty): Contact us if you are using this textbook in your course
Adaptations: Support for adapting an open textbook
- WEBSITE Read this book online
- WEBSITE Instructor Resource: Videos - Historians (YouTube)
- WEBSITE Instructor Resource: Videos - Historians (editable files)
- WEBSITE FIND: Canadian History: Pre-Confederation
- WEBSITE Versioning History
- DOWNLOAD Print PDF (.pdf) (38 MB)
- DOWNLOAD Digital PDF (.pdf) (15 MB)
- DOWNLOAD eReader (.epub) (14 MB)
- DOWNLOAD Kindle (.mobi) (28 MB)
- PRINT Buy a print copy
- DOWNLOAD EDITABLE: Pressbooks file (.xml) (4 MB)
- DOWNLOAD EDITABLE: WordPress file (vanilla.xml) (4 MB)
- DOWNLOAD EDITABLE: .html file (3 MB)
- DOWNLOAD EDITABLE: Open Document Text file (.odt) (14 MB)
Canadian History: Post-Confederation by John Douglas Belshaw, Thompson Rivers University is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.
There are currently no reviews for this book.
Be the first to Review this book