Open Textbook Stats
Known Open Textbook Adoptions in B.C.2012 - 2023
|Number of B.C. students using open textbooks||306,029|
|Number of B.C. institutions currently adopting||43|
|Top 5 adopting institutions (number of adoptions)||1. Douglas College, 2. Langara College, 3. Kwantlen Polytechnic University, 4. Thompson Rivers University, 5. Okanagan College|
|Top 5 adopting institutions (student savings)||1. University of British Columbia, 2. Douglas College, 3. Langara College, 4. Simon Fraser University, 5. Thompson Rivers University|
|Number of known B.C. faculty adopting||922|
|Number of known B.C. adoptions||7,402|
- Each adoption refers to a course section within a specific term and year for which an open textbook has replaced a a primary textbook or educational resource that must be purchased.
- Book (refers to an open textbook)
- A comprehensive compilation of content organized into chapters that includes a table of contents, learning outcomes, and learning activities created to meet course objectives in a specific subject-area and is assigned an open-copyright licence or released into the public domain.
- The number of individual instructors who have adopted one or more open textbooks for one or more course sections. A faculty member is only counted once.
- This number is calculated as follows: number of students (see "Students") x actual cost of the textbook being replaced if purchased new.
- The total number of students in all course sections within which an open textbook is used as the primary educational resource.